The ROADS project improve and establish expert knowledge and skills within all the steps involved in information technology assisted, environmental based decision making processes. Such processes consist of several steps:
- Sensors and sensor technologies
- Data transfer and communication
- Storage and representation
- Spatial visualisation
- Analysis and decision support
- Utilisation within various thematic case studies
Project partners all share common interest in the utilisation of potential project results and each partner currently have key expertise within one or more of the above process steps. The major part of the ROADS project concentrates on the data analysis, data preparation and visualization techniques for decision supporting systems.
Through the joint skills and know-how of the ROADS partnership, all partners achieve a high level of expertise within all steps of the process. This greatly improves partners’ competitiveness and capacity for innovation both regionally and on a trans-regional level. This would not have been possible without the Enable programme which establishes the necessary policies and instruments for ROADS partners to cooperate, thus proving to be an effective catalyst for internationalisation, innovation and exchange of knowledge and experience among research communities, private sector entrepreneurs and representatives of the end-user community.
Another important effect of ROADS is that the project contributes to solve important mutual challenges in the participating regions regarding planning, construction and maintenance of roads infrastructure. This is done by demonstrating and describing how such processes can be improved or become more efficient through the application of environmental decision support systems. Interesting applications for private or public institutions could be:
- Optimal snow clearance on roads
- Early fog warning system for roads or highways using real time climate data
- Documentation of the actual status of tourist roads in combination with weather warning systems
ROADS progress within the above areas promote economic development within both private and public sector end-users and enable partners to get a greater understanding of related application areas through exchange of experience with best practices in Europe.
The ROADS project lead to the following benefits for the project partners:
- Contribution to the internationalisation and capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship among the members of the ROADS partnership
- Contribution to establish the basis for a future largescale R&D project aiming to further develop, commercialise and exploit ROADS technology and methodology
- Establishing the foundation for long term cooperation and exchange of best practices, knowledge and person resources across the participating regions, thus contributing to achieve the aims of the Enable programme.
In addition to the benefits for project partners listed above, ROADS also contribute to solve important thematic challenges in the regions related to environmental planning for roads network – each region utilising the same technology, methods and process to address problems of vital importance namely the integration of real-time sensor data into a spatial decision supporting environment.
Moreover there will a great benefit for software and electronic companies in all regions through the output of this project. Different applications can be generated on road services, road or highway monitoring, road maintenance or road warning systems.